Dr. Karen has made it her mission to be on the cutting edge of dentistry and all the newest options available - from making your smile beautiful and your teeth healthy, to the latest dental sleep appliance and laser procedures that will allow patients to thrive and enjoy a great quality of life.
Craniofacial Transformations specializes in laser frenectomies for all ages, as well as treatment of TMD and sleep-related disorders. Additionally, as a Diplomate of the American Board of Craniofacial Dental Sleep Medicine, Dr. Wuertz is passionate about treating and coordinating care for patients as it relates to total head and neck conditions.
Professional accomplishments include:
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery from the UT San Antonio Health Science Center Dental School, 1992
- Completed post-doctoral specialty at the Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri, 1993
- Assistant Adjunct Professor, UNC Dental School, Chapel Hill, 2016-Present
- Clinical Assistant Professor at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, 1994-1997
- Certified by the World Clinical Laser Institute
- Certified in hospital dentistry for patients too medically-compromised due to health issues to be treated in a conventional dental setting
- Currently a Clinical Evaluator for Dr. Gordon Christianson’s Clinician’s Research Foundation
- Active dental licensure in Virginia, North Carolina, and Texas
- Member of the North Carolina Dental Society, American Dental Association, American Association of Dental Sleep Medicine and the American Association of Sleep Medicine, Fellow in the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain, 2014 Diplomate - ABC Dental Sleep Medicine
- Has written and published numerous papers on restorative & cosmetic dentistry and Biomaterials research
- Dr. Wuertz has served in Jamaica and Mexico as a volunteer for numerous programs to help patients of all ages. Dr. Wuertz and her team volunteer every year for Give Kids a Smile which is a national campaign offering free dental work to children in the local community.
Dr. Wuertz is married to Jeff Wuertz, pastor of Chesapeake Community of Hope Lutheran Church.
Jeff and Karen have four great kids who help keep them active. Karen’s hobbies are swimming, cycling, running, music, and stained glass.